My sweet daughter LOVES her writing desk. It's not exactly new. In fact, it's really old and only cost me $8 at Deseret Industries. But the top opens and it is big enough to hold her crayons, markers, colored pencils, coloring books, paper and envelopes. This is a feat because she has more art supplies than any child I know. She loves to color pictures and send them to people. This run down desk is one of her prized possessions, not because it is beautiful, but because in her words, "coloring pictures makes people happy and brings the Spirit". I should have known that putting it in time out would bring Armageddon.
Brynlee is really good at cleaning her room but only on her terms. Tonight, after letting her know that it was bedtime, I started helping her put her letters away. "Mom, I want to finish my letters to Auntie Amanda and Grandpa Fugal first." she said with a definite whine in her voice. I let her know that she could finish them in the morning. I was expecting her usual response of "sigh...ok mom". Don't get me wrong, this compliance isn't done willingly or cheerfully but she usually does it anyway. Not tonight. Weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth soon ensued. Not far behind were the tears, screams and self-hurling. After a long day at the zoo, I know she's tired. I turn around and start straightening her sheets and blankets for bed. That's when it came.
Whack! . . . I'm not sure what it was. All I know is that only Brynlee and I are in the room and something just hit me square in the back. I turn and see her princess purse at my feet and a hellfire and brimstone look in my daughter's eyes. "Did you just throw that at me?" I asked her, knowing full well what the answer would be. Her arms are folded like when she says her prayers, but her lips are pursed and her eyes are aflame with what I can only assume is poorly suppressed rage. Instantly my blood begins to boil. Ok..Keep calm. Obviously, we need to have the "hitting is not ok" talk again. So how do I go about doing this when every cell in my body wants to beat the living tar out of her? I did the only thing I could do..."Mark!" I yelled. "You need to handle this one."
I won't bore you with the "Daddy talk" details that followed or the list of psychological catch phrases that EVERY parent uses in secret, despite our constant poking fun at those that use them publicly. Suffice it to say that the terms "hitting is not ok" and "use your words" were probably said, followed closely by "you made the wrong choice" and "choices have consequences". Really, I just feel sad. Nothing grandiose. Nothing to analyze. I just feel sad. I'm sad for Brynlee that she is angry and frustrated. I'm sad that she cares more about "having her new Ariel jammies taken away" than her Mommy's hurt feelings. I am sad that I am taking this so personally that I have to blog about it. Then it happens... A soft, high-pitched noise from behind me.
"Meow." He jumps up on the desk, walks across the mouse and plops down right on the keyboard. It's our cat Murphy. He wants me to cuddle him. I know this because he does this several times a day. Mark says that he is "my cat". I think he's right. I just feel comforted by having something big and fluffy to hold. He climbs up on my shoulder and as I scratch his ears, he starts to purr. I love his purr. This always surprises me because those who know me can attest...I HATE cats. I'm not sure how we got so lucky, but he couldn't fit any better into our family. Sometimes I think that all of the world's problems could be solved if everyone had a cat like this one. His ability to bring down my blood pressure, soothe my wounded feelings and make me laugh simultaneously is remarkable. It's as if he is saying, "This too will pass. It's ok."
So now, I blog through utter exhaustion while Murphy sleeps on the desk in front of me, Mark sleeps on the chair behind me and Brynlee & Landon sleep in their beds above me. I'm going to snuggle my cat now and hopefully my daughter will have stopped hating me by morning. If not, at least I know her love for me will return...when her beloved desk does.
.jpg)
6 comments:
Oh Dear!!! I feel you on the issue of the hurt feelings. You can tell yourself "they don't understand" Blah Blah Blah..the fact is that sometimes they are just little &(#*$& *(@! You know what I mean Cor :)
Brynlee~Be nice to your mommy, she loves you.
I hate cats. But Murphy IS cute.
can I borrow Murphy for a while? With the way my life is going right now, I really feel the need for some cuddly fuzzy kitty lovin'
Some days don't you just wonder what it was that ever possessed you into thinking that being a mommy would be great???
I love your new background. It is so cute. And your background music. I need to do that to my blog as well. It is relaxing just to sit here and read and listen.
Your baby. Holy smokes. When did he get so big??? Landon isn't a baby anymore. I was still picturing a newborn. We live WAY to far away. What a cutie he is. I can't wait to meet him in August.
As for the bedtime meltdowns. Yes I think we all go through them. That is when I really have to take a deep breath and decide if it really has to be taken care of at that moment or if it can wait until morning. Moms and kids alike. I think bedtime is the time for short fuses, and it seems like they always blow bigger when we are tired. Atleast that is how it is at my house.
Keep your chin up. Atleast kids are forgiving and loving. Give your babies a hug for us. :)
After pondering for some time I believe the real reason that it's best to have both a mother and father is for times like that...when children would be bodily injured if there was just one.
Good thing that there are good times to remember, along with the pull your hair out ones, eh?
Bed time...the time when one is supposed to have those special warm and fuzzy bonding times with their adorable children right? Ummm...that's how it happens in the fairy tale books, but in real life? It can be a stinkin nightmare. I had to chuckle while reading this. Every mom can relate to this one. Thanks for sharing. It is nice to know that other moms out there have the same experiences that I do. Nothin like a little bed time dramas to make the veins bulge in your neck. :)
I love your pics and your blog. Very cute.
You and Mark have a great family.
On my rough days with my little monkeys I remind myself that they are going to be great amazing adults and when that time comes I know that all the hell they put me through now will have been worth it. Your kids have amazing parents and so they will come out on top and all your experiences with them will be soo worth it.
Post a Comment