Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Our Brynlee is 6...

I'm not sure how it happened....but Brynlee turned 6 yesterday. I swear she is going to be 16 tomorrow.




Mark has always wanted a little girl. When we went to the ultrasound, we were going to have it be a surprise. We couldn't wait and they told us it was a girl. I thought Mark would burst. He was anticipating her birth almost more than me. He came up with the name Brynlee almost from day 1.

Brynlee was born at 9:41 pm after a very long day and traumatic labor. They put me on pitocin and broke my water immediately. Things got going too quickly that Brynlee's heart rate kept dropping into the 30's. I was in so much pain that I had my epidural almost immediately, although I was only dialated to a 2. They put saline back into the sack to give Brynlee some "cushion" (after removing the water in the first place) but some idiot didn't warm it first. This sent Brynlee into shock. Before I knew it there were nurses and techs running into the room getting ready to "prep me". Mark, my mom and I had no idea what was going on. The head nurse said to just wait a minute. Things calmed down (expect my nerves) and Brynlee was born several hours later.

She was a beautiful baby with lots and lots of curly black hair. 8 lbs 6 oz and 21 inches. From day 1 she was such a good baby. She has always been curious. She loved to be outside with Grandma Fugal in the garden and Grandpa Fugal on irrigation day. She has always been super smart and I think that spending so much time with Grandma and Grandpa has contributed to that. She LOVES reading. She is the best sister I know and never fights with her little brother. She is so tolerant of him taking her toys, patiently saying "No brother. We don't take toys, we trade toys. Do you want to trade?" She loves to help other people, especially clean things. (I hope this never changes.) Music is such a part of her life too. She must be our daughter. :-) She is always singing, humming & making up words to songs. Mark's favorite thing about Brynlee is that she knows the words to Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing and Homeward Bound. (They listen in the car.)

She is also the funniest girl we know. We never know what to expect in the morning when we wake her up for school. Sometimes I get a mumble from other the covers..."Sorry mom, Brynlee's not home." Other times through a stretching yawn comes, "Mom, I need more beauty sleep." She is hilarious and keeps us in stitches.

She has a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. She will say things like, "Mom, I wonder if Heavenly Father and Jesus would be happy if I cleaned my room like an obedient girl." When we were babysitting my niece Abby last week, Abby was sad and missed her mom. In the quiet of Abby's room (without me there) Brynlee suggested that she and Abby say a prayer together. They did and Abby felt better. Brynlee's sensitivity doesn't just extend to spiritual matters. It happens in the everyday too. Her kindergarten class hatched baby chickens this year. Only 10 of 12 actually hatched. This has caused her a lot of questions about the mortality of animals. She asked what happens when a baby cow dies before it's born. So we talked about it and I told her what a C-section is. I was expecting an "eeewww" or more medical questions. Instead, she said "Mom, I wonder if the mommy cow is sad for a while because she misses her baby. I hope Jesus will help her to be happy." ...Out of the mouthes of babes.

We love our Brynlee. She is the light and love and humor in our home. We love you so much Brynners and can't imagine our home or family without you. Love you forever and ever!!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Oh my sweet Brynners! Time flies. Thanks for coming down to celebrate with us! Love you!