I just know that most of you (especially my family) will think I am out of my mind but we are trying an experiment at our house. I know, I know...most of you think I am out of my mind already. Let me reassure you that when I tell you about this experiment...it will solidify your claim.
My sister in law Jeri told me about her neighbors that are trying to completely live off their food storage for 30 days. Mark and I sort of did this when he was laid off from Niels Fugal Sons, but to a lesser degree. We have been given the admonition to "prepare every needful thing". I'm pretty sure that Twinkies, Capri Sun, fruit snacks and Diet Coke do not fall under this category. Yes, they have a FANTASTIC shelf life, but they're of little nutritional value. So, our family will be attempting to live off our food storage for the next 30 days....yes, the ENTIRE month of September. We will not be eating out at all. Our trips to the store will be limited to only emergencies, such as a sick child or to fill a prescription that can only be filled every 30 days.
I will hopefully be blogging daily to keep you posted of our progress. I hope that we will discover new & exciting (or at least tolerable) ways to be more self reliant. If we do, I will post them in the hope that it will help you too...or at least provide new ways to be amused by our self inflicted suffering.
Wish us luck....
p.s. Mom Fugal and Laura....prepare for lots of phone calls and lots of stupid questions. :-)
3 comments:
Oh boy! You go ahead and do that and then let me know what to buy! Good for you Cori! Love you
oh come one! You aren't going to call me with your "stupid questions?" (good call - You know as well as I do that I'd be telling you "I HAVE NO IDEA - call Laura or Mom")
Good luck - I'll be watching to see how it goes. According to mom - the downside to this type of experiment is that most people use up the food on the experiment, then don't replenish when they are done, so you may want to keep a list of everything you use so that you can make sure you replace it when you are done:)
My new experiment for the time being is "eating from the earth." Using NATURAL WHOLE foods. (For example - I spent 2 1/2 hours today making "Maple honey granola" (wasn't 2 1/2 hours worth of work - it just had to bake int he oven (at 150) for 2 hours. and we had salad for diner with romaine, spinach, nuts, and a variety of green and crunchy SPROUTS. So for as long as I have the library book checked out, I can give you a few recipes for using cracked wheat and cracked rice...)
What can I say - we weirdos have to stick together!
Good for you! With how much stuff you bottle, this should be a piece of cake!! I guess the trick would be being able to be creative with recipes, but you've always been really good at that. I am anxious to hear how it goes.
Post a Comment