Yes, Brynlee is officially 7 today. Since Mark was going out of town, we celebrated her birthday a few days early.
This last Christmas, I did a lot of sewing projects. Ever since, Brynlee has been asking to use my sewing machine. So for her birthday, we decided to get her a sewing machine.
It is a child's sewing machine but it does actually sew. Brynlee was SO excited. Grandma Debbie gave her some rick rack, fabric and a "build a bear" that she could sew at home. She was thrilled and has been asking every day to get started. (Mom just had to get through the Easter program first.) I asked her what her first project was going to be. She said she wanted to make a "luck blanket" for Landon. (If you sleep with a luck blanket, you will have good luck the next day". :-) I love this girl of mine.
When I asked her what kind of cake she wanted, she said "Rosetta!". For those of you who aren't familiar, here is Rosetta...
She is the garden fairy friend of Tinkerbell. I decided to try using fondant again. I tried last year to make fondant Thomas cake for Landon's birthday. It had disastrous results. Thankfully, for Brynlee's cake, I had the help of a girl in our ward who had used fondant before. We both mixed the color and I made the smaller items. She rolled and placed the skirt and helped with smoothing the flower. Here's how it went...
It's strawberry marble cake with strawberry frosting. I just traced a hibiscus shape for the flower.
Here is the flower covered in fondant. I painted it later but it didn't look so great.
Here is Rosetta with the fondant complete. Melanie (the girl in my ward) helped with the fondant. I especially appreciated the thought she put into the bodice. Most Barbie cakes are strapless or have spaghetti straps. I appreciate that she made it modest by putting sleeves and a higher neck on it. Melanie is a great girl and I wish every young woman could be like her.
Flower and Rosetta done. Notice the thumb print in the flower, courtesy of a certain 2 year old. :-)
Appliques that went on the cake.
Cake complete with sign and flowers. The painting in the seams of the flowers was still wet. I smoothed it after it dried and it looked much better.
Brynlee with her Rosetta cake.
After her birthday cake, we went to Pirate Island Pizza in Orem. We told her she could invite one friend and she chose her Auntie Pam. (Corinne's youngest sister.)
We had a marvelous time!! Landon even decided to play a "ball drop" game and won the jackpot of 260 tickets!!!
Brynlee also got a new pair of PJ's from mom & dad.
We love our Brynlee and are so grateful to have her in our lives. She is such a good helper to me. She is a good example to her younger brother and is extremely patient with him. He's a bit of a bully to her and she is truly kind and long-suffering where he is concerned. She is constantly sacrificing herself so that others can have a turn, be comfortable, be included, etc. We wouldn't trade her for the world.
We love you Brynlee and are so glad you are ours!! Forever and ever and ever and ever!!


2 comments:
the cake turned out beautifully!
Glad Brynlee had a good birthday. She sure is a sweetheart!
That cake is every little girls dream. You did such a great job! Brynlee we love you so much, and can't wait to hang out this summer ALOT!!!
Post a Comment