Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Unexpected Email

So...yesterday, I was checking Facebook as usual. I do this 2-3 times a day because it is a lot faster than checking numerous blogs.I check blogs maybe once a week. Anyway, I noticed that I had an email. Probably something from Mark Shurtleff's campaign, the planning committee for the 9/12 Tea Party in 2010, or some other mindless emails that I get a hundred times a day. Not this time. This was a very special email. Once that would change everything.

"Hey Cori:) it's Brandon.how ya doing? Hows the kids? When my family was picking up Bre's best friend Nellie I was going to your house and you weren't there. I was sad but that's o.k. When's the next time I'm going to see you?"

A pretty substantial amount of shock and awe immediately followed. This can't be right. I read the email over and over again. Then the tears came. So many questions soon followed. Does his mom know he wrote this? Was this prompted? How do I proceed with this? Maybe I should explain...this email is from a 10 year old boy named Brandon Robb. (His name has been used with permission from his mother.)

Brandon Robb was born Michael Thomas Nydegger on February 19th, 1999. I was a 25 year old unwed mother and decided to place him for adoption. The adoption is an open one, although mostly with his mother and father. The last time I saw him was just before I got married. He was 14 months old at the time. His mother and I speak at local schools about abstinence, teen pregnancy and adoption but I have limited my interaction with him until he is ready. I never dreamed that he would be ready so early. He is only 10 years old.

I called his mother this morning and had a long talk with her. He has been asking a lot about me and my kids. He has always wanted a little brother and when he found out about Landon...that's when it all began to snowball. He was so excited that they even had similar names. Brandon and Brynlee could be twins. They both look SOOOO much alike. Brandon also refers to Brynlee and Landon as his brother and sister. (They are biologically half siblings.) It is going to be an exciting reunion...but not now. Brandon's mother and I have decided to correspond via email and pictures until after the first of the year. I think it wise to get to know each other a little better first. 10 years is a long time and I am a much different person now than I was 10 years ago.

Needless to say, my thoughts today have been a bit preoccupied. I must maintain realistic expectations. I am not his mother anymore but he will always be my son. Mostly, I am approaching it like I am his big sister. Handshakes will be in order instead of hugs...at least at first. However, I am looking forward to seeing 3 of my kids play together for the first time.

January can't come fast enough...

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I know that through prayer, you will be able to know when the time is right, and how much will be right for your family. I love you.

Jeff and Alisa said...

Cori that is so amazing! Isn't it wonderful how the Lord looks out for us and we are blessed with these miraculous experiences? I'm so excited for you! You'll have to keep me updated. :) I love you guys!