7:30 - Tried to make Brynlee french toast for breakfast. We're out of bread. I'm glad she likes oatmeal. I skipped breakfast all together. Spent that time snuggling my sick baby. It was better than breakfast though.
11:30 - Picked Brynlee up from school. Passed dumb McD's again and it starts. "Mom, can we go to...uh...never mind. I remember. We're not eating there for a long time huh?" Then the "why's" start. We managed to make it home without incident.
11:45 - Tried to make tuna melts. Realized AGAIN that we were out of bread. Didn't I stock up before this blasted experiment started? Managed to find one "end" piece in the back of the cupboard. Made the tuna melt and promptly heard, "but Mom, I don't like the end part." I silently think to myself, "YOU'RE end part is going to end up in a sling if I hear one more complaint." Instead I simply reply, "I know, but we don't have any more bread. I'll make some more. Just eat your sandwich." I had 3 Nacho Cheese Doritos and a few forks full of tuna filling for lunch.
12:00 - Attempted to make bread. Couldn't find the baking powder. I know we have a small can but I can't find it. So I get the large tub of it from the food storage room. It hasn't seen the light of day in a while. OH LOOK!!!...it expired September of 2002. Sigh...hope it works because it's all I have. (Wrote on my shopping list to stock up on baking powder.)
12:10 - Tried to find Mom Fugal's bread recipe. Couldn't find it. I could have been to the store and had my life back by now. Forget the sandwich bread. I'll make yummy bread. Managed to locate my bread maker cookbook.
12:15 - Decided to make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread w/Walnuts. AAAAGGGHHH!!! It needs baking powder too!! So I used the old stuff. The bread was actually really good. It was as dense as matter in a black hole but the flavor was pretty good. Guess the baking powder isn't good anymore when it's been expired for 6 YEARS!! Apparently, I need to cook more.
5:30 pm - Brynlee wants cereal for dinner. Easy enough. We have milk and it doesn't require baking powder. Hooray!
9:45 pm - Kids are in bed and I'm planning tomorrow's breakfast. Still don't have bread in the house and I'm not about to start trying to make some now. I'll find a recipe that doesn't require baking powder and make it tomorrow. Hope Brynlee likes unleavened bread. Still haven't eaten dinner and I'm feeling a bit sick. Think I'll just have a bowl of cereal and watch Pride & Prejudice to wind down.
Sigh....This cooking/baking thing isn't as easy as it looks.
4 comments:
I have both yeast (on the old side) and a bunch of non-expired baking powder. Wanna come for dinner tomorrow night? I'll make a donation to the project. I think it's legal, since in a real emergency you rely on 1) food storage and personal prep, then 2) family...
Let me know. we usually eat around 6
At least you are finding out this stuff now instead of when it really counts! What are you going to do when you run out of milk? Is that item store legal!?! I'm glad you finally watched Pride and Prejudice!!! I still think Colin Firth is the best Mr Darcy EVER, and I can't quite figure out what Kierra Knightly says 1/2 the time in this rendition, but I guess it will work!! Hang in there! I love you!
Did you do my bread???
I didn't get the chance. Landon has a fever again. Just got back from the Instacare. They're stumped and chalked it up to "viral". Thank heavens Mark comes home tomorrow.
Post a Comment