Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Greatest Generation...

These last few weeks have been filled with the 4th of July holiday, the starting of a new job, the tearing down and installation of a new shed, sprinklers, grass, etc. There's been lots going on. But for some reason I just can't seem to want to blog about any of it. My mind is being occupied with the loss of 2 particular people... The deaths of Mark's Grandma Fugal and my Aunt Joan.

All of my grandparents died before I was 25. I had wonderful relationships with each of them. They were all incredibly different in character and personality and I cherish the memories I have with each of them. However, I don't think I fully appreciated my grandparents. Playing outside was always funner than sitting with the adults. But Grandma Fugal and Aunt Joan were different. I really got to know them better later in life.  This made all the difference in the quality of my relationships with them.

Aunt Joan was my Gram Elaine's younger sister. They were incredibly alike, both in looks and mannerisms. My Gram Elaine died when I was in my early 20's and Aunt Joan was a perfect "substitute" for Grandma. Her smiling eyes and infectious smile always put everyone at ease. She was a family history buff like no other. She would take my mom to the Lehi cemetary and point out graves of deceased family members and explain how they were connected. There are so many people on the other side that owe so much to Joan. I can only imagine the "family reunion" that is taking place right now.

As odd as it sounds, when I heard that Joan had died, it sort of felt like losing Grandma again. I last saw her when she came to my wedding in 2000. Getting that hug from her was just like hugging Gram Elaine. It meant so much to me that she took the time to come to her great niece's wedding. Sadly, I don't know if I ever told her how much she meant to me. But I hope that she knew that I loved her. Because the love of an adult "child" is much different than that of a small child. Not better. Just different. For me, it was quieter, deeper, maybe filled with less hugs but certainly filled with much more adoration, appreciation and wanting to be like her. Her viewing is tonight and the funeral is tomorrow. I am hoping that as I am hugging my 2nd cousins, I will feel that little bit of Aunt Joan again.

My last remaining Grandma (Nydegger) died about 6 months after Mark and I got married. At the time, I remember thinking how sad it was that my children would never know how special my own grandparents were. How wrong I was.


Grandma and Grandpa Fugal could not have fit into those "grandparent" shoes any better. Words cannot express how amazing these 2 people are. They were married 72 years and, until recently, still lived together in the house they raised their children in. (Grandpa still lives there.) My 2 children were lucky to have had this precious time with them. When we would visit Grandma and Grandpa (both in their 90's) it was so fun. Grandpa would bounce Landon on his leg while I would worry about Grandpa's brittle bones. Grandma would put a wooden board on her lap and play dominoes with Brynlee, while I would worry about Brynlee stepping on Grandma's fragile feet. Grandma had green foam balls that she used to strengthen her hands. They were kept in the basket attached to her walker. Landon always knew where to find them and he would bring them to her. She'd throw them and Landon would "fetch". She would also build a domino tower for Landon to knock over.

Grandma taught me so many things. She was an educator of the highest quality. While I would sit and worry about how my children were behaving, she would gently remind me, "It's ok. They're not hurting anything. Children were not made to sit still and be quiet while the adults talk about boring things."  She had the best recipe for her "chocolate drink". All the Fugals tell me that she always had it in the house for either hot chocolate or chocolate milk. I asked Grandma about this and she gave me the recipe. She died 8 days later. How grateful I am that I had the time with her that I did. How grateful that we made the resolution this year to visit more. The time spent with Grandma enriched our lives so much. Brynlee still talks about the dominoes. After the grave dedication, Brynlee put 2 white dominoes on Grandma's casket....they shimmered.

I don't know that I would have fully appreciated these things in my youth. Running and playing outside, climbing Gram Elaine's cherry tree, playing with Grandpa Horan's leather and hoping he didn't see us snitch the butterscotch candy from his sock drawer. Playing in the "forest" behind Grandpa & Grandma Nydegger's house, riding 2 people on his copper colored exercise bike or watching his HUGE  tv that must have been 8 feet thick. All of these things seemed so much more important and interesting. It never crossed my mind that getting to know what incredible people they were would be something I would miss later in life....and miss greatly.

I am so thankful for the examples that these sweet women have been to me. They will never know all the amazing things they have taught me without saying a word. Most of all, I am grateful for the time that I had with them. I look forward to hugging them again one day, fully appreciating the lasting impact they had on me as a granddaughter, grand niece, daughter, a mother, a sister and a friend.

2 comments:

Jeri said...

hey - will you send me the recipe please???

Anonymous said...

Thank you for those beautiful tributes! Writing down our memories will make sure that our children and grandchildren "do" get to know how wonderful their ancestors were. Well said honey, I love you!
Mom